(Artwork graciously provided by Monica Martin Fine Art)
It sounds so simple. It's the Thanksgiving holiday so naturally it's time to think about all the things we are thankful for. However, this past year - 2021 - has been one where gratitude has been a daily theme for the Carlsbad Village Association. As we continue to try to get on the other side of the pandemic, those of us in the retail and restaurant industry, and those of us who own or operate a small business downtown, are continually aware of how recent it was that our world was turned completely upside down. And while things are improving, we are now faced with new challenges and are still struggling to get back to some sort of normalcy.
As the Executive Director of the Carlsbad Village Association, I would like to share with you some of the key players who are helping keep downtown Carlsbad strong and moving forward, and for whom I am grateful every day:
- CVA's all-volunteer Board of Directors for incredible support, insight, and willingness to serve others.
- CVA's newest staff members, Tish Gehringer, Program Director, and Jodi Cole, Event Coordinator, for caring so deeply for Carlsbad Village and the people who live, work and play here.
- CVA's members for their support and commitment to making Carlsbad Village strong and resilient and, above all, special.
- The City of Carlsbad staff for continuing to collaborate with CVA on important Village projects and keeping the downtown at the forefront of their discussions, goals and plans.
- The Carlsbad City Council for continually re-examining the Village and Barrio in an effort to make regular improvements and not settling for less than ideal solutions.
- The Carlsbad Chamber of Commerce and Visit Carlsbad for continuing to join forces with CVA to help all of us have a more impactful outcome.
- The residents of Carlsbad Village for regularly supporting the small businesses downtown and truly believing in the "Shop Small" movement.
- The Farmers' Market for being such a strong and enduring event in Carlsbad Village that has supported hundreds of small businesses, solopreneurs and families for nearly three decades.
- And last, but certainly, not least, the small business owners, managers and staff in Carlsbad Village who bring an energy and enthusiasm to downtown every single day. Your passion for your craft, the way you care for your employees and fellow team members, the service you provide your customers which makes them come back again and again - it is all so inspiring.
Carlsbad Village Association