A rise in the number of trauma cases, organ transplants and elective surgeries requiring blood products over recent months has depleted the nation’s blood inventory, causing the American Red Cross to appeal to the generosity of Americans for immediate action.
Help Us Impact the Blood Shortage By Donating
“The Red Cross is currently experiencing a severe blood shortage,” said Chris Hrouda, president of Red Cross Biomedical Services. “Our teams are working around the clock to meet the extraordinary blood needs of hospitals and patients – distributing about 75,000 more blood products than expected over the past three months to meet demand – but we can’t do it without donors. Every two seconds, someone in the U.S. needs blood.”
The San Diego Blood Bank said it is in dire need of donations, as it operates on less than its usual seven-day supply of blood. The blood bank attributes the shortage to COVID-19 cancellations and closures, an increased need in hospitals, and people simply missing their donation appointments.
This is where you can help! The Carlsbad Village Association still has appointments available for its September 25th Heart of Carlsbad Village Blood Drive.
A Carlsbad Village Tradition
Over 130 pints of life-saving blood have been donated during this fantastic event, going strong for four years. We are pleased to have Carlsbad Village Music be our host location this fall.
How Donating Helps
Every 2 seconds, someone in the United States needs blood. Donating blood can help:
- People who go through disasters or emergencies
- People who lose blood during major surgeries
- People who have lost blood because of a gastrointestinal bleed
- Women who have severe complications during pregnancy or childbirth
- People with cancer or severe anemia sometimes caused by thalassemia or sickle cell disease
Requirements for Donating Blood
- Be at least 17 years old*
- Weigh at least 110 pounds.
- Be in good health generally, and feel well on the day of donation.
- Bring a current photo ID on the day of donation.
Ready To Become A Hero?
In less than an hour, you can save up to three lives. Make a difference in your community by giving blood. Schedule your appointment in advance HERE. Carlsbad Village Music has a delightful store, and restrooms are available to make your wait as enjoyable as can be.
Date & Time
Saturday, September 25, 2021
10 am to 3 pm
Carlsbad Village Music
505 Carlsbad Village Drive